[Mailman-Users] Ghost Moderator Requests

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 27 06:02:10 CET 2008

Thanks for the reply.

At 04:07 PM 1/26/2008, you wrote:

>First of all, it is not clear from your prior posts whether or not you
>recognize that these held messages are all from the 'mailman' site list,
>not from your other list.

Sorry I wasn't clear but yes, I knew they were from the mailman list.

>Also this (the 'mailman' list) list's web_page_url attribute which
>reflects its url host is http://dap002.dap.localnet/mailman/ which may
>or may not be valid, but is certainly not accessable from the internet.

That is correct since I don't have a static IP. I can access the
admin functions from the LAN. My users must do everything via email.

>Finally, these all appear to have been 'owner' bounces delivered to the
>site list last April 17.

I can see that but I have no idea what is significant about that date
since it did not show up until after I did this restore thing.

>If you go to the admindb interface for the 'mailman' list, you should
>see these messages and be able to discard them - go to the same URL as
>the admindb interface for your other list, but with 'mailman' as the
>list name.

As I said, it tells me there are no pending requests.

>Or, you can discard them by running.
>
>path/to/mailmans/bin/discard /var/lib/mailman/data/heldmsg-mailman-*

I thought I'd give this a try and here's what I get:

[root at dap002 bin]# discard /var/lib/mailman/data/heldmsg-mailman-*
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/sbin/discard", line 120, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/sbin/discard", line 110, in main
     mlist.HandleRequest(id, mm_cfg.DISCARD, '', False, False, '')
   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 164, in HandleRequest
     rtype, data = self.__db[id]
KeyError: 113
[root at dap002 bin]#

Must be a remnant of the restore fiasco.

>Do NOT just remove the heldmsg-mailman-* files since that will remove
>the message files, but it won't stop the notices. If you have already
>removed the files, you need to either go to the admindb interface for
>the mailman list and discard them or remove the
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/request.pck file which will be
>automatically recreated when necessary.

Even though the above didn't work, can I do this anyway? I don't use
that mailing list so there are no messages in it that I care about.
Is there a way to just wipe everything manually? I guess this list is
necessary but is there a way to wipe everything and have it rebuild
what it needs? That should clean everything up, right?