[Mailman-Users] Change -owner addresses

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 24 21:57:53 CET 2008

Joakim Nömell wrote:

> If I change -owner to -own in the mm router in my exim.conf-file and
> change the above in MailList.py I got this log in exim:
>
> 2008-01-24 14:35:17 1JI2Ef-00011f-7q <= joakim at nomell.se H=localhost
> [127.0.0.1] P=esmtps X=TLS-1.0:DHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32 S=856
> id=alpine.DEB.0.99.0801241435030.31963 at merope.webworld.se from
> <joakim at nomell.se> for lekstugan-own at smartlist.nu
>
> 2008-01-24 14:35:17 1JI2Ef-00011f-7q ** lekstugan at smartlist.nu
> <lekstugan-own at smartlist.nu> F=<joakim at nomell.se> R=mailman_router
> T=mailman_transport: Child process  of mailman_transport transport
> returned 6 from command: /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman

The status of 6 is an invalid command.

When I initially suggested changing the aliases, I was thinking of
something like

listname-own: "|path/to/mail/mailman owner listname"

which would work. With exim however, it is a bit more complex because by
changing the suffix to -own, you are also telling exim to invoke the
wrapper with a 'command' of 'own' instead of 'owner'.

You either need to change the mail/mailman wrapper to accept 'own' and
change the name of scripts/owner to scripts/own or change the exim
mailman transport which is probably easier.

If the transport definition contains something like

  command = MAILMAN_WRAP \
            '${if def:local_part_suffix \
                  {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}} \
                  {post}}' \
            $local_part

it needs to be changed. I don't know enough exim magic off the top of my
head to give you the exact incantation, and for a few more days, I am on
a ship in the Carribean and my internet access is very expensive (I'm
composing this offline), so I won't look it up, but the above says that
the command to pipe to is

MAILMAN_WRAP

followed by

if there is a suffix, use the 'word' between '-' and '+' if any,
else use 'post'

followed by

the local-part without the suffix which is the list name.

You have to enhance the suffix processing so that if it results in
'own', you make it 'owner'.