[Mailman-Users] Change -owner addresses

Joakim Nömell joakim at nomell.se
Thu Jan 24 14:41:35 CET 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> I don't know why.  If you have something like the following for your
> mailman router
>
> mailman_router:
>  driver = accept
>  domains = +mm_domains
>  require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>  local_part_suffix_optional
>  local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
>                      -confirm : -confirm+* : \
>                      -join : -leave : \
>                      -subscribe : -unsubscribe : \
>                      -owner : -request : -admin
>  transport = mailman_transport
>
> and it worked before, I think changing '-owner' to '-own' in
> local_part_suffix is all you need to do.
>
>> But the owner addresses are only used for external people to contact the
>> list owners, right? We are not using these adresses. So if this doesn't
>> generates any problems for mailman, I can just change -owner in my
>> mm-router in exim4.conf to something else? Mailman sends out some
>> administravie mails from list-owner-address but this should work anyway
>> I guess?
>

> Mailman also sends some administrivia notices TO listname-owner and then
> receives and resends them to the owner and moderator addresses, but changing
>
>   def GetOwnerEmail(self):
>       return self.getListAddress('owner')
>
> in Mailman/MailList.py to
>
>   def GetOwnerEmail(self):
>       return self.getListAddress('own')
>
> should take care of all of that (I think).

If I change -owner to -own in the mm router in my exim.conf-file and
change the above in MailList.py I got this log in exim:

2008-01-24 14:35:17 1JI2Ef-00011f-7q <= joakim at nomell.se H=localhost
[127.0.0.1] P=esmtps X=TLS-1.0:DHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32 S=856
id=alpine.DEB.0.99.0801241435030.31963 at merope.webworld.se from <joakim at nomell.se> for lekstugan-own at smartlist.nu

2008-01-24 14:35:17 1JI2Ef-00011f-7q ** lekstugan at smartlist.nu
<lekstugan-own at smartlist.nu> F=<joakim at nomell.se> R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport: Child
process  of mailman_transport transport returned 6 from command: /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman

I have restarted both exim and mailman. Can't find anything in the
mailman own logs. O don't need to do anything else with MailList.py but
restart mailman after the change?

Joakim Nömell     Tel  : 070 771 31 00     MSN  : joakim at nomell.nu
Unix engineer                              Web  : http://nomell.se