[Mailman-Users] Mail Processing Problem?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 12 00:36:29 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:
>550 [PERMFAIL] bellsouth.net requires valid sender domain (in reply to
>RCPT TO command))
>
>I should have paid more attention, sorry. Is not the RCPT TO command
>itself but the reply to it and I believe it is referring to my
>mailman/SMTP server.

I think it is refering to the domain of the 'sender' of the mail which
is the list's host_name attribute.

>I  can't tell you the specific difference because there are no useful
>messages (just a 250 sent message) when it is successful.

And what are the other things in your MTA's log entries like the from
and to addresses. The ISP is complaining about the domain of the from
address that you would see in your MTAs logs.

>My main
>point was that a message formed by the 'mail' command, on the same
>server, works so it seems a mailman config issue. I don't think
>SMTP-AUTH matters since both go through the same local 'SMTP'  server
>to the same ISP mail server. Right?

Yes, based on your description, that's right.

>Isn't the mechanism 'sendmail' in
>both cases to my SMTP server? Or is 'mailman' trying to talk directly
>to my ISP's mail server?

Unless you changed SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT (putting them in mm_cfg.py)
Mailman is sending to the MTA that it talks to on port 25 at
'localhost'.

>I don't recall doing anything special with
>mailman when it was working for my ISP's mail server. I may have done
>something to 'postfix' specifically for mailman but I don't recall
>what.

So look in your local maillog for the postfix entries for successful
and unsuccessful posts. The difference will be in the domain of the
'from' address in the log entries.