[Mailman-Users] Mail Processing Problem?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 11 00:24:30 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>No. I do not have a static IP or a registered domain, which is why all
>mail from this server has to go through my ISP's server. However,
>non-mailman mail is sent just fine. If it is indeed the "MAIL FROM"
>then why would my changes in mm_cfg.py, not have fixed it? On the
>other hand, why would it complain about 'RCPT TO' rather then 'MAIL
>FROM'?

The changes you made in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_REPLY_GOES_TO_LIST = 2
REPLY_TO_ADDRESS = '<acceptable host/domain>'

have nothing to do with this issue. First, they only set defaults for
new lists. They have no effect on existing lists. Second, they only
have to do with a Reply-To: header in outgiong list posts which has
absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

>On the
>other hand, why would it complain about 'RCPT TO' rather then 'MAIL
>FROM'?

Lots of reasons. It could be a relaying issue which can't be detected
until the MTA knows the destination, or it could just be that the MTA
is configured to do the FROM domain check at RCPT time in the SMTP
transaction.

What is the exact reject response from the MTA?

What is the difference between 'non-Mailman' mail that works and
Mailman mail that doesn't. Does the non-Mailman mail come from a
different envelope from domain? Does non-Mailman mail use SMTP-AUTH to
authenticate to the ISP?