[Mailman-Users] Queue delays

Grigory Batalov bga at altlinux.org
Tue Jan 8 01:41:23 CET 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:59:10 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> >I have regular delays in message processing. Say, my server (Linux/Postfix)
> >receives a letter at 17:36 and quickly delivers it to the mailman queue (?).
> >Then message is hold for about 25 minutes and is processed again at 18:01.
> >
> >It is strange to me, why mailman keeps the message so long?
> >How can I investigate such situation?
> >
> >Maybe, other messages in queue could be the reason?
> >
> >$ ls -1 /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/in/|wc -l
> >0
> >$ ls -1 /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/out/|wc -l
> >120
> >$ ls -1 /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/retry/|wc -l
> >121
>

> Why is the out queue backlogged with 120 messages?

  I guess, that is because "retry" messages come back to "out" queue
  from time to time. In sum "out" and "retry" always give 200-250 letters.

> Why are there 121
> messages being retried. What is in Mailman's smtp-failure log?

  It is full of errors:

Jan 08 01:55:00 2008 (13316) All recipients refused: {'mak at rsmu.ru': (450, '4.1.2 <mak at rsmu.ru>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found')}, msgid: <20080107110706.GC32553 at nevod.ru>
Jan 08 01:55:00 2008 (13316) delivery to mak at rsmu.ru failed with code 450: 4.1.2 <mak at rsmu.ru>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

  with several different emails and different message-ids.
  About 42000 lines per day.

> What does Mailman's smtp log look like? Does it show evidence of
> 'continuous processing'?

  Well, there are messages like this:

Jan 08 01:55:11 2008 (12250) <47815B62.3090806 at gmail.com> smtp to sisyphus for 1 recips, completed in 30.005 seconds

  About 21000 posts per day, every took 30 seconds "for 1 recips".
  Should they address more recipients or take less time?

> >There are 8 Incoming, 8 Outgoing, 4 Retry and 4 Bounce qrunners on the server.
>

> Why so many runners? Do you really need that much parallelism?

  I thought they would process queue faster.

--
 Grigory Batalov,
 ALT Linux Team