[Mailman-Users] Queue delays

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 7 17:59:10 CET 2008

Grigory Batalov wrote:

>I have regular delays in message processing. Say, my server (Linux/Postfix)
>receives a letter at 17:36 and quickly delivers it to the mailman queue (?).
>Then message is hold for about 25 minutes and is processed again at 18:01.
>
>It is strange to me, why mailman keeps the message so long?
>How can I investigate such situation?
>
>Maybe, other messages in queue could be the reason?
>
>$ ls -1 /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/in/|wc -l
>0
>$ ls -1 /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/out/|wc -l
>120
>$ ls -1 /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/retry/|wc -l
>121

Why is the out queue backlogged with 120 messages?  Why are there 121
messages being retried. What is in Mailman's smtp-failure log?

What does Mailman's smtp log look like? Does it show evidence of
'continuous processing'?

>There are 8 Incoming, 8 Outgoing, 4 Retry and 4 Bounce qrunners on the server.

Why so many runners? Do you really need that much parallelism?

The issue appears to be a backlogged 'out' queue. In order to say more,
we need to know what's causing all the retries (smtp-failure log) and
whether there are outgoing messages taking inordinately long to
process (smtp log).