[Mailman-Users] getting python errorss with check_perms

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Feb 6 02:56:30 CET 2008

Rob Tanner wrote:
> I think the bug URL you gave me is a wrong URL.  Bug 132495 is a
> Japanese encoding bug and its status is closed (which I presume
> means fixed).  That doesn't sound like the problem I'm seeing.

The bug summary may not sound like what you're seeing, but the patch
that was applied to correct the initial problem does redefine _() and
can cause the sort of errors you're seeing.  I know this because I ran
into some places where the patch was incomplete and caused just such a
problem for me. :)

> In answer to your questions, the Fedora release is Fedora release 7
> (Moonshine) and the mailman package installed  is mailman-2.1.9-5.1
> (output of rpm -qa).   I just no checked, and there is not a more
> current package to download via yum.

There may still be problems with the patch, as the maintainer noted in
the last comment.  The bug is closed with the resolution rawhide,
which means that the latest updated patch may not have been pushed to
F7 (I haven't looked closely, though you can by looking at the Fedora
CVS: http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/mailman/)

There does happen to be an update that is in the updates-testing
repository, and the patch in question has been updated in that version
(mailman-2.1.9-5.3.i386.rpm).  You can download that directly or
enable the updates-testing repo to install it with yum like so:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update mailman

This package should hit the standard updates repo very soon as it
fixes CVE-2006-3636 (multiple cross-site scripting vulnerabilities).

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity