[Mailman-Users] Permission problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 4 18:51:09 CET 2008

Melinda Gilmore wrote:

>No matter what permission I set and copy from other lists that are ok, I
>keep getting this error message.  I must have something to do with the .tmp
>part fo the request.pck,  But can't figure out why I am still getting it.
>Also, when I got to check that list, that file is not there.
>
>Any directions would be greately appreciated.
>
>Your "cron" job on lists
>/usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/checkdbs
>
>produced the following output:

<snip>
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/usr/local/mailman/lists/sis_directors/request.pck.tmp'

cron/checkdbs has found stale data in
/usr/local/mailman/lists/sis_directors/request.pck and is attempting
to update that file. In order to minimize the possibility of
corrupting the file, this is a two step process. First the file
/usr/local/mailman/lists/sis_directors/request.pck.tmp is created and
written with the updated data. Then the request.pck.tmp is renamed to
request.pck.

In your case, the attempt to create the request.pck.tmp fails for lack
of permission, so the file just isn't updated.

Have you checked the owner:group and permissions on the
/usr/local/mailman/lists/sis_directors/ directory and verified that
they are the same as other directories in the
/usr/local/mailman/lists/ directory? The owner and even the owner
permissions aren't that important, but the group should be 'mailman'
and the group permissions 'rws'.