[Mailman-Users] Getting rid of default mailman address due tovhosts only

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 3 18:50:51 CET 2008

audit wrote:

>I used the rmlist to delete the mailman list but it gives me an error
>when I try to post to one of my other lists about
>
>mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=FR user=mailman argv=/usr/local/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py
>   ${nexthop} ${user}
>

>command that I have in the master.cf file.
>
>How do I get rid of that mailman list as I really don't need it nor want
>it anymore.

In Mailman 2.1.x, you MUST have the 'mailman' list. It will go away in
Mailman 3.0, but for now you need it. Many things depend on it.

>If someone tries to send an email to
>mailman at virtualdomain.com. because they followed the directions on the
>from the listinfo page, then it just gets defered since I have the
>default mailman list setup so anything that posts to it gets defered and
>deleted.

That's not really very friendly to your users. If you don't want to
accept mail to the mailman list, that's fine, but you should consider
patching Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py and Mailman/Cgi/admin.py to remove
the lines about mailing to the site list.