[Mailman-Users] connect to exchange server

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Fri Dec 19 18:15:14 CET 2008

On 12/18/08 06:51, Jeanne Ilchuk wrote:
> I was looking thru the archives and found this note from 2004 (below)
> which gave me the impression that it did not work with exchange.

I don't think that it is possible to integrate Mailman with Exchange
like you can with Sendmail / Postfix / Qmail / etc.  But that does not
mean that it can not be made to work.

> Do I need to run again with cgi-gid=mailnull ?  or can I just chgrp?

I have no idea.

> --with-mailhost=mail is the hostname our exchange server

*nod*

If I recall Solaris uses "mail" as sort of a ""magic host name as a
place holder that everything uses and the system is set up so that the
magic name of "mail" resolves to the actual mail server.  Am I any where
close?

> On the mailman server, I changed the mailhost to the hostname of the
> sun server where I installed mailman, then set up the apache server
> with a dedicated IP and dns entry mailman.

Ok.  (I think.)

> I'm kind of struggling here because I've been using ecartis MLM on an
> old FreeBSD server that IT is eliminating.   At the same time we
> moved our mail from the freebsd server (postfix) to MS Exchange.  I
> don't have a clue how the exchange server works.  I'm accessing my
> own email using the WOA Light version, which would have to be imap
> with SMTP [I thought].  Is exchange a pop3 server ?

Who is administering Exchange for you?

Exchange is /many/ things, including POP3, IMAP, SMTP, X.400, etc.

> Thanks for all the speedy replies.  I'll be back!  -- Back to the
> drawing board -- suggestions welcome.

You did not say, do you want your mailing lists to be in the domain
hosted by Exchange, or in a sub-domain that is hosted by the Solaris
mail server?

Either way, you are going to have to configure Exchange to route some
email to the Solaris mail server, be it individual mail boxes, or a
sub-domain.

Also, what version of Exchange are you using?

Grant. . . .