[Mailman-Users] Spam to list-owner

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 19 10:42:26 CET 2008

Brad Knowles writes:
 > > 1) Eliminate any public reference to the list-owner address
 >
 > That doesn't really solve the problem.  Anyone, anywhere can easily
 > guess list-owner and list-request and list-bounces, etc... for any given
 > list address.

Brad, do you think spammers really do that just to increase their
address count?  I've always assumed that they were just harvested in
the usual way.

 > > In a perfect world, I would offer a higher level of support, but
 > > my users are sophisticated enough to handle a certain amount of
 > > troubleshooting, and my contact information isn't hard for humans
 > > to discover.

It is if, for example, the problem is that somebody is using fake
bounces with a spoofed from address to beam spam at somebody via your
site (one aspect of the so-called backscatter problem).  In that case
all the recipient has is the list-owner address (and of course
postmaster at your.dom, but if that isn't you personally, you probably
don't want that person getting upset with you!)