[Mailman-Users] eMailing a members only list from aknown locationwith out verifying members.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 18 17:42:12 CET 2008

Grant Taylor wrote:

>On 12/18/08 09:19, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Note that this has nothing to do with mm-handler or other delevery to
>> mailman method. Even with mm-handler, delivery to Mailman is still
>> via the mail/mailman wrapper, so mm-handler has no way to manipulate
>> the message's metadata which is initialized by the post script
>> invoked by the wrapper.
>
>Ok.  I said "mm-handler" as an idea, not specifically that script.
>"Mm-handler" just happened to be what I use as a mailer in Sendmail so
>that is what came to mind.
>
>Is there an option that can be passed to mail/mailman that does what I'm
>asking for?

X has no way to manipulate the message's metadata which is initialized
by the post script invoked by the wrapper.

What this means is that without modifying Mailman in some way, the

Now, the wrapper is pretty simple. When it is invoked via

/path/to/wrapper post LIST

all it does is set the effective group to 'mailman' (or whatever your
Mailman group is), check that 'post' is a valid command, and invoke
scripts/post with the rest of the arguments (i.e. LIST and whatever
follows).

So, if you could arrange for mm-handler or whatever to pipe the gated
message to

/path/to/wrapper post LIST fromusenet

you could modify scripts/post to detect this additional argument and
add fromusenet=1 to the metadata when it queues the message.

Of course, this may be insecure depending on just how you arrange for
the additional argument to be added since others besides the newsgroup
may be able to invoke this.