[Mailman-Users] eMailing a members only list from a known locationwith out verifying members.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Thu Dec 18 16:43:05 CET 2008

On 12/18/08 09:19, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Yes.

Good.

> If you use Mailman's news -> mail gateway to gate messages from a
> news group on a news server to the Mailman list. you won't have this
> problem.

I'm trying to not use Mailman's news to email gateway because of its
"polling" aspect.  I can have my news server "push" new messages to
Mailman in a more timely and more efficiency manner.

> If the message to Mailman contains a

> header where password is the list admin or list moderator password,
> all the normal holds and moderation checks except header_filter_rules
> will be bypassed. The header will be removed before the message is
> distributed.

Ok...  That might work.  It's good to know that the header is removed
and not accidentally exposed to the mailing list (for those that would
look).

> Note that this has nothing to do with mm-handler or other delevery to
> mailman method. Even with mm-handler, delivery to Mailman is still
> via the mail/mailman wrapper, so mm-handler has no way to manipulate
> the message's metadata which is initialized by the post script
> invoked by the wrapper.

Ok.  I said "mm-handler" as an idea, not specifically that script.
"Mm-handler" just happened to be what I use as a mailer in Sendmail so
that is what came to mind.

Is there an option that can be passed to mail/mailman that does what I'm
asking for?

Grant. . . .