[Mailman-Users] Different IPs for each list?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Dec 14 17:44:14 CET 2008

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>First, let me say that I'm not certain this is going to transslate the way
>I intend...
>
>That said: I have a machine with a half dozen lists on it, running on 1
>IP.  Id like to keep the same "info" page that lists all the various
>lists, but have each one (at smtp level, I dont care where the archives
>and user pages are) communicating on a different IP for traffic
>engineering purposes (rather than using separate instantiations on
>separate IPS).
>
>Is this possible?

What I'm getting is you want each list to have it's own domain and
associated IP address - e.g., list1 at l1.example.com,
list2 at l2.example.com, etc.

You can do this in a couple of ways. If all lists share a common web
host domain, just set the host_name on each list's General Options
page to the desired email host (or set it with bin/config_list), and
make the appropriate changes in your MTA.

I gather that you don't want a separate web host domain for each list,
but if you did, you would need to put things like

add_virtualhost('web1.example.com', 'l1.example.com')
add_virtualhost('web2.example.com', 'l2.example.com')
etc.

in mm_cfg.py and run

bin/withlist -l -r fix_url list1 -u web1.example.com
bin/withlist -l -r fix_url list2 -u web2.example.com
etc.

to update the list configurations, and put

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

in mm_cfg.py so all the lists will appear on the listinfo and admin
overview pages regardless of invoking domain, and of course make the
appropriate MTA and web server changes.