[Mailman-Users] listhost vs hostname vs host_name

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 8 18:19:11 CET 2008

Will wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> host_name is a list attribute that is described if the above referenced
>> FAQ and which is set directly from the -e option to bin/newlist.
>>

>really? that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm creating a list with
>newlist and passing the subdomain value with -e and it only seems to set
>the emailhost value. which works for setting the domain name properly on
>some portions of the email like to address, but list-bounces@ and tpls
>have the host_name wrong. its not until I set the host_name with
>config_list that the subdomain is properly set everywhere.
>
>I do have things working now. but I got it working by setting both -e
>and host_name in a config file passed to config_list.

What Mailman version is this? In any version I know about, if you
specify a domain to newlist with the -e option, it set's the list's
host_name attribute. This is the same host_name that you can set with
config_list and which appears and can be set on the web admin General
Options page near the bottom. I don't know what the 'emailhost' value
is that you say it sets if it isn't host_name. There is no 'emailhost'
list attribute.

In any case, if Mailman has been configured with the correct values for
web and email hosts so that DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
are correct in Defaults.py, or if not, if they have been corrected in
mm_cfg.py with the following:

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.example.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

(with your own actual domains), you should be able to create lists with
bin/newlist with no -u or -e option and get what you want.