[Mailman-Users] Shunting problem and suggestions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 8 17:51:39 CET 2008

Steve Campbell wrote:

>I've got a single user out of approximately 250 that seems to always get
>shunted. It's a problem with extended character set characters being
>sent. She uses Outlook for an MUA.
>
>Can a user be whitelisted in any way to prevent the shunt tests from
>being done? Where might I look on her machine to discover what might be
>causing her Outlook to send these characters? We have many Outlook
>users, and she seems to be the only one with this problem? I'm guessing
>it's characters like the single and doulble quotation marks, as best as
>I can tell.

The exceptions caused by such things should not cause the message to be
shunted. They should be caught within the handler and dealt with. The
fact that they aren't is a bug.

>I'm using mailman 2.1.5-1.25 RH rpm.

And it has probably been fixed in more recent versions.

If you post the traceback from the error log for one of these, I can
suggest a patch to fix it, but the real fix is probably to upgrade
Mailman.

And, to answer your original question, a user cannot be whitelisted
from having their messages shunted.