[Mailman-Users] Mailman not recognizing some bounces?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 26 21:20:47 CEST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>If you send me example DSNs from the above domains, I can try to add
>recognition for them. I tried mailing to
>bogus_address_test_dsn at rediffmail.com,
>bogus_address_test_dsn at big.or.jp, bogus_address_test_dsn at 163.com,
>bogus_address_test_dsn at ospaz.ru and bogus_address_test_dsn at 126.com to
>see if I could get DSN's from these domains, but rediffmail.com,
>163.com and 126.com rejected the recipient at SMTP time and the others
>accepted the mail and haven't yet returned a DSN.

Skip replied to me off list with example DSNs from rediffmail.com and
163.com. Both these DSNs were recognized by Mailman 2.1.11 which has
some improvements over 2.1.10 so I'm not sure if they were recognized
in  2.1.10.

However, Skip also wrote:

>I'm referring to the delivery status notification which is sent to, say,
>python-list-bounces+xyz=rediffmail.com at python.org.  I realize that Mailman
>has yet to see it, but I assume it eventually will see it and should disable
>the subscription after N bounces.  One rediffmail.com email address in
>particular has piled up hundreds of bounces without being disabled.

If the bounces are actually being returned to
python-list-bounces+xyz=rediffmail.com at python.org as opposed to
python-list-bounces at python.org, then they are VERPed and they should
be recognized and scored as a bounce for xyz at rediffmail.com regardless
of the content of the DSN.

Check Mailman's bounce log to see if they are being scored.

There is a potential issue. If you have

VERP_PROBES = Yes

in mm_cfg.py and for some reason the VERP probes aren't bouncing or are
not being recognized, the user will never have delivery disabled.