[Mailman-Users] add_members with names

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 21 16:27:25 CEST 2008

David Southwell wrote:

>1. I have a file in the following format
>
>"member name in quotes"  email_address at domain.tld
>
>and want to be able to add members using data from this file. add_members
> add_members -r /absolute/path/to/file listname
>reports
> Bad/Invalid email address: "member name in quotes"  email_address at domain.tld

The addresses need to be in the format

"member name in quotes"  <email_address at domain.tld>

See <http://wiki.list.org/x/YoA9> for other formats. The quotes around
the name above are only required if the name contains non alphanumeric
characters. I.e.

John Doe <jdoe at example.com>

is OK, but

"Jane Q. Doe" <jdoe at example.com>

needs to be quoted.

>2. As an additional query is there a way of automatically making new members
>subject to moderation and automatically turning off moderation after a
>predetermined number of postings from that member have been approved?

You do the former by setting Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
default_member_moderation to Yes.

There is no automatic (after n posts) way to clear the mod flag, but
when the moderator goes to the admindb page to approve a post from a
moderated member, there is a checkbox that the moderator can use to
clear the mod flag of the member whose post is being approved.