[Mailman-Users] Sendmail performance

Knabe, Troy knabe at 4j.lane.edu
Fri Aug 8 20:54:03 CEST 2008

I am quite certain that this is the answer to my issue, as I see the Mailman messages being routed through my spam filter 2x as it enters/leaves queues.  But when I tried to impliment it sendmail quit listening on port 25.  Anyone else experience issues with this solution?  Any suggestions?  Thanks Troy

You can do this without modifying your sendmail files at all. Instead, in your startup script, add:

        /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=defer \
                -ODaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA,Port=NNNN,M=E,Addr=127.0.0.1

Where NNNN is some port number not otherwise used (you can test if something's in use by doing "telnet localhost NNNN" - if it's refused, there's no daemon listening)

This sets up a sendmail process listening to the alternate port, in DEFER mode, but set to talk only to the localhost interface, so it's not accessible by anyoneother than your local machine: no open relay problems.

To make mailman access that port, add this to your mm_cfg.py:

 # define alternate SMTP port
 SMTPPORT = 1313