[Mailman-Users] question about recurring gate_news command

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 02:27:48 CEST 2008

Thanks to all. I was concerned because I hadn't seen so many log
entries before from gate_news. Does this likely mean that a list was
configured to run the mail-news gateway or has it been running like
that all along?

Anyway, I hadcommented out the entry in the crontab.in previously, but
I didn't think to re-run the crontab command to update it. It seems to
have stopped now.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
> Terri Oda wrote:
>>
>>Are you actually trying to update a news server?  Because if you're
>>not, you should probably turn off the mail-news gateway for your
>>lists.  I think it's obvious on the options page.
>

> That won't stop the cron running every 5 minutes. The only way to do
> that is to edit Mailman's crontab.
>
> If you are not actually gating from a newsgroup to a list (and never
> plan to), you don't need to run cron/gate_news and you can comment it
> out in the crontab. Gating from a list to a newsgroup is triggered by
> the post and cron/gate_news is not involved. cron/gate_news polls the
> newsgroups accociated with lists that have gateway_to_mail set to Yes.
>
> --

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com