[Mailman-Users] question about recurring gate_news command

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 4 23:00:35 CEST 2008

Terri Oda wrote:

>Are you actually trying to update a news server?  Because if you're
>not, you should probably turn off the mail-news gateway for your
>lists.  I think it's obvious on the options page.

That won't stop the cron running every 5 minutes. The only way to do
that is to edit Mailman's crontab.

If you are not actually gating from a newsgroup to a list (and never
plan to), you don't need to run cron/gate_news and you can comment it
out in the crontab. Gating from a list to a newsgroup is triggered by
the post and cron/gate_news is not involved. cron/gate_news polls the
newsgroups accociated with lists that have gateway_to_mail set to Yes.