[Mailman-Users] almost there...now mail loops :-(

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 3 16:50:29 CEST 2008

Dov Oxenberg wrote:

>Hi,I would again like to extend my thanks to Mark and everyone for your help and guidance as I have been struggling with getting my mailing list working.I am close...finally got things working by editing some values in the main.cf file.Which leads me to my question - now that I have mail working, I mean I am actually receiving responses from the mail Server, albeit failure notifications, and can now see administrative requests in the console.  In fact, the self-subscription works as well...or at least it was.Anyway, now I am receiving the below messages from the mail Sever:This is the mail system at host mail.domain.com. I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could notbe delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You candelete your own text from the attached returned message.                    The mail system <subject-discuss at domain.com>: mail !
> for domain.com loops back to myself
>
>--Forwarded Message Attachment--From: boxenberg at hotmail.comTo: subject-discuss at domain.comSubject: Another test message...Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 00:13:34 -0400
>Please help,
>And thank you again!

First, please complain to hotmail about the fact that it strips all the
line breaks from your pasted text. I've complained, but they don't
seem to think they have a problem. Perhaps if more people complain,
they'll eventually get it.

Now, the "loops back to myself" is Postfix's way of telling you that it
doesn't know how to deliver to domain.com.

The easiest fix is just to add domain.com to the mydestination list in
main.cf.

If, on the other hand, you need domain.com to be a virtual domain, add

virtual_alias_domains = domain.com
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

to main.cf. either put these in or add the values to existing lists. If
you do it this way, you also need to put

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain.com']

in mm_cfg.py and rerun bin/genaliases, but if there is no need for this
to be a virtual domain,, just add domain.com to mydestination in
main.cf.