[Mailman-Users] Preventing spam to list owners

Dennis Morgan dennis at eaachat.org
Sun Sep 30 15:32:00 CEST 2007

The way I approached this was I sort of built a new front end. (Thank
you Mark for your help!)

Instead of people starting at the default Mailman 'advertised lists"
page I sent everyone here:
http://e-aa.org/maillist.html

I created new lists and moved all the subscribers.

I edited the HTML in the /mailman/listinfo/list_name_here pages so there
were no mailto: links, there is a typed out address if people really
want to get in touch with the moderators.

If you follow the link to the administrative page for each list it has a
mailto: link that discards all the mail that comes in.

On our website we have 2 email addresses in public view with mailto:
links used for support purposes, we change these whenever the spam level
gets irritating.

This has worked very well, every once in a while someone becomes a spam
bot, we track them down and encourage them to clean their computer,
other than that we have no spam to our lists.

Dennis