[Mailman-Users] Preventing spam to list owners

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Sep 30 09:14:47 CEST 2007

On 9/29/07, Gary Spivey wrote:

>  Does anyone know how to best stop these? Are these SPAM's coming from
>  the outside direct to the e-mail address, or are they somehow going
>  through mailman? If the latter, can I stop it in mailman somehow? If the
>  former, does somebody have a recommended way to stop them? I have a SPAM
>  filter running on my end system, but I am just tired of the constant
>  flow of SPAM.

These messages are coming from Mailman internally, where some outside
user has tried to spam your list, but instead the message has wound
up being held for moderation.  Then it's up to you to go through and
administer the moderator queue at least once a day, for every list.

The alternative is to make the default non-subscriber action to be
reject instead of holding for moderation.  However, this won't be
very friendly to real humans who try to post to your list, and you'll
be sending an auto-response back to the sender address, which is
probably forged.

This is a "lesser of two evils" choice.  You have to decide for
yourself and your user community as to what the lesser evil is
between these two options.