[Mailman-Users] Where's Korea? (recurring problem)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 22 01:09:47 CEST 2007

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> It looks like the
>>
>> #include "Python.h"
>>
>> near the beginning of _koco.c is failing. Is there a python2.4 directory
>> in /usr/include?
>>
>    That was it.  python-devel was not installed on this machine.  Would
>be nice if the configure script checked for all  the necessary header
>files prior to compiling/installing.

In off list communication, we discovered that the RedHat FC5 'python'
package contains a full distutils module, but does not contain the
necessary header files for compiling/installing Python packages with C
language extensions.

A patch to configure.in (which is processed by autoconf to make
configure) which makes configure test explicitly for the header files
is attached and will be included in Mailman 2.1.10.

>It installed now...though the
>bazillion errors were still there:
>
>src/_koco_uhc.h:3008: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ
>in signedness
>src/_koco_uhc.h:3008: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ
>in signedness
>src/_koco_uhc.h:3008: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ
>in signedness
<snip>

I was able to duplicate these warnings by giving the -pedantic option
to gcc. They are not fatal, and the installed korean codecs will still
work.

Also, the configure in Mailman 2.1.10 will have a great deal more in it
than the ones in 2.1.9 and previous versions. This is not because of
any configure.in changes, but rather because it is generated with
autoconf 2.59 which adds a bunch more stuff than autoconf 2.13 (which
generated the Mailman 2.1.9 configure) did.