[Mailman-Users] Problem to install mailman from source

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 10 18:47:47 CEST 2007

Kai Behncke wrote:

>> What special entries are you looking for? What you have is an mm_cfg.py
>> >from a fresh install. Did you have a previous mm_cfg.py at
>> /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py? If so, it shouldn't have been
>> overwritten, but if it was somewhere else, it's still there.
>>

>All right, I thought if I would use the configure-parameter
>(e.g. --with-mailhost=www.tourismus-osnabrueck.de) they would be written automatically in the mm_cfg.py.

The values you specify to configure get put in Defaults.py and don't
need to be in mm_cfg.py.

>So if I have a fresh mm_cfg.py I can write own entries there and
>after starting mailman again they are used??

Yes, but you only need to put things in mm_cfg.py that change or
override things from Defaults.py or things you just want there for
documentation. If you specified the correct --with-mailhost= and
--with-urlhost values to configure, These will be correct in
Defaults.py and you don't need to specify DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
DEFAULT_URL_HOST in mm_cfg.py.

>> What do you mean your Mailman doesn't run? Please be more specific.
>
>If I run /bin/mailmanctl start
>
>I get "missing the mailinglist mailman", surely because I have not installed sendmail and done entries in the /etc/aliases.

No. This is because you haven't created the 'mailman' list. You need to
create that list either via the web create page or with bin/newlist
before you can start Mailman.