[Mailman-Users] Problem to install mailman from source

Kai Behncke Kai-Behncke at gmx.de
Mon Sep 10 18:26:19 CEST 2007

Hello Mark,

> --with-mailhost= is the domain to which you address list mail. >Do you
> really send your list mail to listname at www.tourismus-osnabrueck.de?
>
> In your previous posts, your mail host was lists.gforge.geoplp.de

Yes, thats true. I have cleaned my system and do now everything from the beginning on, I also use another domain.
I do it (nearly) the way that is described in the GNU Mailman Installation Manual.

> What special entries are you looking for? What you have is an mm_cfg.py
> >from a fresh install. Did you have a previous mm_cfg.py at
> /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py? If so, it shouldn't have been
> overwritten, but if it was somewhere else, it's still there.

All right, I thought if I would use the configure-parameter
(e.g. --with-mailhost=www.tourismus-osnabrueck.de) they would be written automatically in the mm_cfg.py.

So if I have a fresh mm_cfg.py I can write own entries there and
after starting mailman again they are used??

> According to the aliases you previously posted, your prior mailman was
> in /var/lib/mailman. Do you now have two Mailman installations, one in
> /var/lib/mailman with lists and appropriate sendmail aliases and one
> in /usr/local/mailman with no lists and no sendmail aliases?

No. In the moment I just have one mailman installation (installed by source) in /usr/local/mailman.
I not even have sendmail in the moment.
By now I would like to get shure that all with my mailman-installation so far is correct.

If I run /bin/check_perms it looks very good.

> What do you mean your Mailman doesn't run? Please be more specific.

If I run /bin/mailmanctl start

I get "missing the mailinglist mailman", surely because I have not installed sendmail and done entries in the /etc/aliases.

This will be next step.
Thank you very much again, Kai