[Mailman-Users] Permission problem in handling moderator requests; also archive queries

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 7 15:53:47 CEST 2007

Sekhar Ramakrishnan wrote:

>I have three questions - two general, and one about a particular
>problem.
>
>1) Is there a plan to offer a search function for private archives?

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.011.htp>
for links to current solutions.

This is a highly requested feature and something will eventually be
done to provide an archive search, but at this point there is no
timeframe.

>2) One of our lists has monthly archives. Is there a way to combine
>older archives (more than a year or two old) into yearly archives?

It's probably a manual process and possibly not a good idea, since any
existing URLs such as those in one archived post pointing to another
or those in a FAQ or those saved by individuals will be invalidated by
such a change.

That said, you could do it by something like the following:

1) stop Mailman to prevent new mail from being archived
2) set the list's archive_volume_frequency to yearly
3) remove all the 'old' monthly directories and .txt files from
archives/private/listname. also, remove the 'old' subdirectories from
archives/private/listname/attachments and the 'old' database files
from archives/private/listname/database
4) figure out the message number of the last 'old' message in the
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file or the first and
last of the 'old' monthly messages if you've done this before.
5) run bin/arch with the appropriate --end (and --start) options as
determined in step 4). do NOT use the --wipe option.
6) set the list's archive_volume_frequency back to monthly.
7) start Mailman.

>3) I administer a few Mailman lists (version 2.1.9.cp2) on a cPanel X
>account that I control as well. I have a problem with the "Tend to
>pending moderator requests" page. Everything works normally as long
>as I am able to approve, reject, discard, etc on the main adminb page.
>But if I click on "view all messages from" to deal with messages from a
>single person, I get a page with that person's messages but, whatever I
>do, I get an error message, given below.
>
>This is a creeping problem. I saw it first on one list, and I didn't worry
>since I was about to delete the list. But for the past few weeks, I have
>the problem on my main list.
>
>Before posting this, I set up a new list with just one member and posted
>a message big enough to be held up for moderation. I had no problem
>clicking on "view all messages from" and disposing of the message. It
>didn't matter whether or not the list name had a hyphen, in case that is
>relevant.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Sekhar Ramakrishnan
>
>Error message:
>
>Forbidden You don't have permission to access
>/mailman/admindb/<list>_<domain> on this server.
>
>Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
>an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>Apache/1.3.37 Server at insaf.net Port 80

First see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

That said what additional information is in the Apache error_log?

Is http://server.name//mailman/admindb/<list>_<domain> the correct URL
for this list's admindb page (Is server.name the same as <domain>)?

Look at the 'page source' for the 'view all messages from'. Is the
action URL in the form tag correct?

I'm really grasping at straws here because all admindb pages should
generate the same form tag with the same action URL so it should
either work or not from any of the admindb pages.