[Mailman-Users] Question on customizing user pages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Oct 14 03:06:01 CEST 2007

Blaine Lang wrote:

>Using Mailman v2.1.9 on a hosted service provider, I have read a number
>of FAQ pages and list archives and I would like to further modify a
>number of pages the user interacts with.
>
>We have created the inital signup page on our own website and upon
>posting the request to mailman, the page the user see's can be
>customized completely which is good. The user then receives an email to
>confirm the subscription and it does not appear, the contents of this
>email or the page they are sent to can be modified by the list admin. Is
>this true - how can I modify these 2 items (confirm email text and
>confirm linked page)?

The confirmation email sent to the user is made from the verify.txt
template which can only be edited with shell access to the host server
per
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>

The content of the confirmation linged page is built on the fly by the
Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py module. Changes, other than colors which can be
set globally in mm_cfg.py, can only be made by editing the Python code
of this module.

>After the user does confirm via the confirm page and clicks on the
>submit to confirm button, they are directed to another page - the
>subscription confirmation page. I do not see where this page can be
>modified.

This too is built on the fly by the Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py module.

>I'd like to simplify the options and information presented to the user
>and personalize the page to reflect a clients site look and feel.

Other than changing the verify.txt template which can be done on a per
list or per domain basis, the changes would be global and would be
unlikely to be considered by a hosting provider.

One way around this might be to create your own CGI confirmation page
and convince the host to make a list or domain specific verify.txt
template which would link to your page and include the cookie in the
data passed to the CGI. Your page could then either send a
confirmation email to Mailman or post to Mailman's confirm page and
capture and massage its response.