[Mailman-Users] thread-throttling (feature idea, needs more thought)

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Thu Nov 29 06:49:06 CET 2007

Elsewhere in the intertubes I know of a great list that oft suffers from
the all too common thread-gone-wild effect.   This got me thinking about
a Mailman feature request... but it needs more thought to assess it's
validity. ;-)

What if Mailman had a thread-throttling feature where after a preset
number of posts, further posts (with same msgid or Subject, etc.) would
automatically induce a queuing delay.  Obviously this would need a few
points of configuration, these things come to my mind:
	regexps for posters to never throttle
	regexps for posters to always throttle
	throttle method (ascending, static, %load, etc)
	throttle delay (minimum seconds?)
	a pck to store recent msgids/subjects/etc for past 24 hours

Note: this has nothing to do with bandwidth throttling, but rather
conversation throttling.  The idea is to auto inject pauses into heated
and passionate discussions.

Like I said, some things remain to talk through.... but I think there is
a gem in there.   Thoughts?

-Jim P.