[Mailman-Users] Delayed deliveries and diagnostics

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 29 02:18:08 CET 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:

>On 11/28/07, Todd Reed wrote:
>
>>  I am having major delays when sending messages out.  I have several
>>  lists with 20k-30k users.  I just discovered that a message that was
>>  sent out on October 25 is still being delivered.  Other than the logs in
>>  the /var/log/mailman directory, is there a diagnostics program or some
>>  sort of reporting with mailman?  I can't find anything in the docs.
>
>There is nothing.  This is related to the issue discussed in FAQ 1.30
>at
><http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.030.htp>.

Brad is correct, but note that if you look at Mailman's smtp log, you
should find the "<message-id> smtp for nnnn recips, completed in
xxx.xxx seconds" log entry relating to your Oct 25 message. At the
time that entry was written, Mailman was done delivering that message
except for possible retries of temporary failures occurring in
delivery to the outgoing MTA. These failures if any will be logged in
Mailman's smtp-failure log. Mailman will continue to retry the
temporary failures for DELIVERY_RETRY_PERIOD (default 5 days)
following the original failure.

Once Mailman has handed the delivery to the MTA and logged it in
'smtp', subsequent delays are in the MTA or further outbound, so you
might get more information from your MTA's logs.