[Mailman-Users] Restoring lists on newer version

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Mon Nov 26 15:07:26 CET 2007

Hi All--
My server suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure.  I have backups
(unfortunately, two weeks old, but that's better than nothing), but when
the server was restored I was forced to upgrade to Fedora 6 (from 4) and
to Mailman 2.1.9, where it used to be 2.1.5 (I think).

I also have Plesk, through which I make new lists; once the lists are
made, their administration is exactly like a normal Mailman
installation, except for the locations, which I know.  List aliases are
made by Plesk.

What's the best procedure to restore my lists?  I've got a dozen, but
only three have significant traffic.  Do I copy the backups to the
proper location and then make the lists with Plesk, or do I make the
lists first and then copy the data in?

I also have significant customization of the admin and info pages; can I
rescue that without too much trouble?  Or do I have to transfer all the
custom modifications by hand?  (It's all appearance, by the way; nothing
affects Mailman operation in any way.)

Thanks very much for any advice at all.

Metta,
Ivan