[Mailman-Users] ? accessing public archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 25 18:32:14 CET 2007

lists.mailman-users at duinheks.xs4all.nl wrote:

>Op zaterdag 24 november 2007 schreef Mark Sapiro aan
>lists.mailman-users at duinheks.xs4al:
>
> >> But when I try to connect to
> >> duinheks.xs4all.nl/pipermail/amc-support I get a "403:
> >> forbidden" error: Symbolic link not allowed or link target not
> >> accessible: /opt/mailman/archives/public/amc-support
> >> What else should I look at?
>
> MS> The information in the 'warning' box at
> MS> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.
>
>This link cannot be found :(

It works for me, but there are mirrors at
<http://mailman.sf.net/mailman-install/node9.html> and
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node9.html>.

Also, since you are apparently installing from source, it is in the
source directory at admin/www/mailman-install/node9.html.

>But I think I found what you mean :)

>I now configured Mailman with
>--prefix=/opt/mailman --with-mail-gid=mailman --with-cgi-gid=www
>and all seems to work.
>A bit strange, because if I read the entry for --with-cgi-gid
>correctly, www should be taken as default.

The warning box I refer to talks about the necessity for the web server
to have search (x) permission on the archives/private directory,
either by that directory being world searchable or owned by the web
server user. configure and make install will create this directory
world searchable (o+x) and owned by the user that ran make install
(normally root), but bin/check_perms will warn you about this. If you
then remove the world searchable (o-x) without changing the owner (but
not the group), then you can't access public archives.

>Another thing I don't understand is this: originally I configure
>with
>--prefix=/opt/mailman --with-mail-gid=bbs --with-cgi-gid=www
>but then Mailman complained because the mail server (postfix) was
>running with group mailman instead of bbs.
>But postfix does not belong to group mailman...

Postfix runs a pipe as the user that owns the aliases file in which the
pipe is found.