[Mailman-Users] non-moderating administrator?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 21 16:21:17 CET 2007

Iain Buchanan wrote:

>hmm.  owner == administrator?  I assumed owner was <listname>-owner at ...
>or is this just a redirect to, eg. me?

Mail to listname-owner is resent to the list's owner and moderator
addresses. 'Administrator' is anyone who knows the list's admin
password or the site admin password, regardless of what addresses
appear in the owner or moderator attributes.

>Any suggestions?  Should I make the owner bitbucket at mydomain.com or
>similar?

I think you may misunderstand what the owner and moderator addresses
mean. See the first 4 paragraphs of
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.060.htp>
including the linked article.

>Can any other "admins" comment on what they do?  Surely someone else
>admins a whole heap of lists too?  I can also set up mail filters, but
>ultimately I would like to stop it at the source.

Admin and moderator roles are determined by who knows what passwords,
not by whose address is in what box. The major difference between
putting an address in owner vs. moderator is the owner addresses
appear in the 'list run by' footer on web pages and the moderator
addresses do not.

I think what you want to do in your case is put the addresses of the
list moderators in the respective owner attributes and leave the
moderator attributes empty.