[Mailman-Users] Email subscribe interface and QP encoding

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 9 03:21:48 CET 2007

Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:

>If I send an email from Outlook to the listname-request address with this line:
>
>subscribe address=test2 at ornl.gov
>
>I get back the following result:
>
>Your authorization is required for a mailing list subscription request
>approval:
>
>    For:  3Dtest2 at ornl.gov
>
>Notice the "3D" in front of the original address.  It looks like Mailman isn't decoding the quoted-printable encoding before parsing the message body.  Why is that?  Should I file a bug report?

It looks like you are correct. It is apparently an oversight. I'll fix
it without the report, but it is always good to have the report in the
tracker for the next person that finds the bug.

>(Note: when I sent the message from Outlook, I forced it to "plain text")

Does Outlook have an option to use 8bit encoding rather than QP, and
why is it QP encoding a message that appears to not have any 8bit
characters?