[Mailman-Users] How to change subscriber address

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue May 22 23:45:29 CEST 2007

Mailman Users wrote:

>Earlier, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> Submitting an address change causes a confirmation request to be sent
>> to the new address. This confirmation request must be received and
>> acted upon before the change is effective.
>
>I'm not getting a confirmation request to the new email address,
>and am not seeing a moderator action request either.

There won't be a moderator action request for an address change.

If you have access to Mailman's logs, you can check the 'smtp' log to
see if a confirmation message is sent. There should be an entry
similar to

May 22 13:13:26 2007 (23704)
<mailman.56708.1179864805.1568.list at example.com> smtp for 1 recips,
completed in 0.040 seconds

(i.e. a 'mailman' message id with the list address and 1 message
recipient) for the confirmation notice.

If you have access to Mailman's command line tools, you can do

bin/dumpdb lists/<listname>/pending.pck

to see if there is an address change (type 'C') waiting confirmation.
For a nicer looking display of the pending.pck data, you can get
<http://veenet.value.net/~msapiro/scripts/list_pending> (mirrored at
<http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/list_pending>) and put it in
Mailman's bin/ directory and run it.

>I've seen this behaviour on another Mailman list, ver 2.1.6 - so I assume
>there must be something I've missed on the configuration?

It's not controlled by configuration. Perhaps the confirmation request
is being spam filtered or just not recognized. If you set

VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes

in mm_cfg.py, the confirmation will have a nice subject, but otherwise
the subject is similar to

Subject: confirm e31b055e6099e5a2e6d1070d93029d18f9ba5167