[Mailman-Users] single list has stopped working while otherscontinue to work

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue May 22 02:37:16 CEST 2007

Wallace Winfrey wrote:

>However, today I seem to have run into a real head-scratcher. We run a
>dozen or so lists, most of which are unmoderated, two-way lists. We also
>run a couple moderated, one-way announcement lists, one of which seems
>to have stopped working sometime this afternoon. The rest of our lists
>continue to function normally, but this particular list doesn't seem to
>be working at all.
>
>As I mentioned above, this is a moderated list, so when I post, I expect
>to see a moderation message by email, and the moderation request appear
>in the web management interface. However, neither of these things seems
>to happen.
>
>I can see sendmail handing it off to mailman just fine:
>
>May 21 16:59:54 sly sendmail[4071]: l4LMxs3W004071:
>from=<wally at cycling74.com>, size=806, class=0, nrcpts=1,
>msgid=<46522468.80709 at cycling74.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
>relay=intranet.cycling74.com [207.174.12.59]
>
>May 21 16:59:54 sly sendmail[4072]: l4LMxs3W004071:
>to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post cycling74-announcements",
>ctladdr=<cycling74-announcements at sly.cycling74.com> (8/0),
>delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=31050, dsn=2.0.0,
>stat=Sent
>
>However, that's it. Nothing else happens. There's nothing in the logs,

Are you looking at the right logs? i.e. are there lots of current
entries in Mailman's post and smtp logs that you're looking at.

If not, you're not looking at the right logs. RedHat normally puts them
in /var/log/mailman/.

If so, are you sure there is nothing in Mailman's error log and nothing
unusual in Mailman's qrunner and vette logs?

>no errant locks in ~mailman/locks/, nothing that I could glean from
>perusing the FAQ entry at:
>
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp
>
>Anyone have any ideas? We have another list that's set up with the exact
>same options, just named differently and with a different subscriber
>list, but it seems to be working just fine.

What's in qfiles/in? If it is not empty, what does

ps -fAw | grep Incoming

show? If it shows a runner with the option --runner=IncomingRunner:0:1,
then it's OK, but if it shows any number other than 1 in the third
colon-delimited field of the --runner option, see the last paragraph
of section 5b of FAQ 4.78.