[Mailman-Users] HOWTO for easy subscribe/unsubscribe via a simplewebform

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 18 18:59:26 CEST 2007

peter pilsl wrote:

>Unfortunately the Unsubscribe still gives me a headache. Creating a simple
>webform seems to be almost impossible, cause the unsubscribe-link needs to
>contain the users mailadress and does not respect the "confirmation needed for
>unsubscription"-settings in the list-options

The "confirmation needed for unsubscription"-settings in the
list-options controls whether or not a list admin or moderator must
approve the unsubscription. It does not control whether or not the
user has to confirm an unsubscription request.

In order to prevent users from being onsubscribed by third parties
without their consent, Mailman requires the any unsubscription request
that does not come from the list admin interface or the password
authenticated user be confirmed by the user's response to a
confirmation email.

If you want to bypass this confirmation, you need to submit the request
for example as though it came from the admin mass removal page with
the list admin or moderator password or from the user options page
with the user's or the list admin or moderator password.

See the whole thread starting at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041213.html>
for more information.

The above needs a password to avoid confirmation. See the referenced
thread.

>And I didnt find a way to customize the unsubscribe-result-html-page

It is built on the fly by code/data in Mailman/Cgi/options.py.