[Mailman-Users] Counting messages that went to postfix queue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 4 20:54:35 CEST 2007

D G Teed wrote:

>Oh dear, that could be difficult to "prove" to Postfix peoples.
>Is there a way to get more verbose logging of what mailman
>is delivering other than what the mail server reports?
>That way I could compare the two and see
>which is dropping the ball.

Yes, and no.

Go to
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.073.htp>
and see the part at the end about adding

        self.__conn.set_debuglevel(1)

to the code in Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py. This addition (and
restarting Mailman) will log the entire SMTP transaction between
Mailman and Postfix.

BUT, in your case (RedHat with Mailman 2.1.5, you probably have Python
2.3.3 (or some 2.3.x) version. Prior to Python 2.4, this debug output
was written to stdout rather than stderr and that will cause other
problems, so if you are going to do this you need to first apply the
attached patch to your python Lib/smtplib.