[Mailman-Users] Attachments - archives and encoding problems

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 3 16:55:14 CEST 2007

Mailman developers: I've submitted a bug on the SF tracker (what, no
Jira yet?) #1712034.  What I write below is all I've got for now, and
it's on the tracker; bug/patch traffic will followup to the tracker.

Reply-To set to mailman-users.

John Papapanos writes:

 > Here is a URL where I created a list for testing
 > mailman.
 >
 > https://mail.bioacademy.gr/pipermail/testlist2/2007-May/thread.html

Thanks!  As usual, seeing is believing.

Wow!  That's amazingly broken.  What's I'm pretty sure is happening is
that the archive contains raw message content in a MIME QP or
transfer-encoding, which cannot be properly decoded because the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header has been stripped (AFAIK it's
actually prohibited in HTTP, cf RFC 2616 section 19.5).

The reason that the Greek text-only comes out OK is that your browser
interprets the { notation in the message body as SGML entities,
which are Unicode.

To fix this, you *will* have to patch your Mailman installation, or
get an alternative archiver (there are instructions for using MHonArc
in the FAQ).  There's not going to be a way to configure around this,
I'm pretty sure.

The patch may be trivial, but I won't be able to look at it for a day
or two.  Maybe Mark, Barry, or Tokio can.