[Mailman-Users] Attachments - archives and encoding problems

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 3 13:41:32 CEST 2007

John Papapanos writes:

 > Is there a solution to the broken link ?

This is not a "problem" that can be "solved".  Mailman (or some other
mail program) here is conforming to the recommendation in the
standards that lines in mail bodies be broken at a reasonable length.
Since this behavior is recommended, rather than required, a patch to
provide an option has a good chance of being accepted I should think.
(As a supporter of standards, I hope the core developers will choose
to spend their time improving conforming behavior, not providing
options for the benefit of those who use non-conforming MUAs!)

It might also be possible to use an 8-bit transfer encoding for the
body which might relax the line length limit, I forget exactly what
the standards say about that.  However, I don't think Mailman
currently supports that as an option. :-(

 > 2. The second problem is that mails having an
 > attachment are displayed fine in the web archives only
 > if the mail was sent with iso-8859-1 encoding. If I
 > choose a different encoding in my mail client
 > (eq. iso-8859-7 or utf-8) mails in the web archives
 > are displayed scrambled.

What do you mean by "scrambled"?  Can you give a URL where we can
observe this?  What web browser do you use?  How is it configured for
viewing non-ASCII/ISO-8859-1 encodings?