[Mailman-Users] Counting messages that went to postfix queue

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu May 3 02:51:27 CEST 2007

On 5/2/07, D G Teed wrote:

>  It seems like mailman is the most likely point of failure.  There was a
>  python error in the error log file for mailman.  Unless we are taking
>  about versions of python.  I'm running 2.3.4 for that (Redhat EL 4).

There are different versions of Python.  More importantly, different
versions of Mailman require different versions of Python -- and are
more or less *incompatible* with other versions of Python.

In some cases, this is a matter of Mailman being forced to back-port
certain features that were introduced in later versions of Python --
you shouldn't have to worry about these.

In other cases, features within Python just plain broke, or got
changed, or got "fixed", and that completely breaks Mailman.

You need to know which version of Python you need for which version of Mailman.

Yes, I know this is a royal pain-in-the-ass.  We're trying to get
better about this, believe me.

>  I'm on 2.1.5.  I have the patch to allow subscribers in one list
>  to be added to posting ability in another list by simply adding
>  the @listname to the allowed set.  Hopefully that still works
>  in 2.1.9.

Ahh.  Yeah, if at all possible, you definitely want to upgrade the
version of Mailman you've got.  The patch should be applicable to
version 2.1.9, without too much hassle.

And the latest version of Python 2.3.x is the right one for use with
Mailman 2.1.9.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0