[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Qmail/Vpopmail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 2 19:10:04 CEST 2007

Simon Schuh wrote:

>In /home/vpopmail/domains there is a directory for every domain.
>Like: /home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.tld/
>In there are .qmail files for all defined adresses.
>
>Mailman didn't create any files there.
>Can I tell Mailman where to create the files or how I'm doing this?

Mailman does not create any aliases for qmail. You have to create them
manually, 10 for each list. When you create a list, you should get a
report and an email about the aliases similar to the following for the
'mailman' list.

## mailman mailing list
mailman:           "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
mailman"

but this is not the format for qmail alaises. I know nothing about
qmail. All I know is at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html> which you say
you've read.

What it says to me is that for each list you need to create 10 files
named .qmail-x where x is from the 'local parts above (e.g. mailman.
mailman-admin, etc.). These files should be created in the
/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.tld/ directory for the list domain.

The contents of these files should be something related to the
respective pipe command in the above list similar to

|preline /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman

etc.

This is only my understanding of what I read in
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html>. It may not be
correct.

For further information, you'd have to see qmail documention or ask on
a qmail list or wait until someone with relevant experience sees your
post on this list.

As an alternate to aliases in qmail, there is a contributed script at
contrib/qmail-to-mailman.py in the Mailman source distribution and a
brief note about it at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html>. It is 8 years
old, but it might work.