[Mailman-Users] global email address blocklist?

Ron Brogden rb at islandnet.com
Tue May 1 20:03:38 CEST 2007

Hello.  Like a good portion of the Internet, I am running into issues with
AOL users hitting the "spam" button in their AOL email client for legitimate
list traffic.  I am wanting to stop these users from re-subscribing to any
lists but as far as I can tell, Mailman does not currently have a global
blocklist.

Looking at the source, I see the following on line 394 of "MailList.py":

self.ban_list = []

I am wondering if a possible solution here would be to initialize this value
to include a list of banned email address, either via an included value from
Defaults.py or by hardcoding the values into to the above array?

self.ban_list = [ 'clueless at aol.com', 'bad_gui_design at aol.com' ]

What I am unclear of is whether this means that every message has to be
scanned through this list or whether it would only apply to subscribe
requests.

Another potential spot would be in "AddMember()".  Perhaps just adding a new
function to MailList.py which checks if the address is in a global array and
raises an error if this is the case?

If anyone has already cracked this or if there is already an existing function
to support this please point me at the FAQ or docs.

Cheers,

Ron

--
islandnet.com