[Mailman-Users] Original sender address strippedfrom forwardedemails.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Mar 31 00:54:01 CEST 2007

Krystal F. Zipfel wrote:
>Not sure it's just Outlook, as Thunderbird does the same. But,
>interesting non-the-less.

I don't know what Thunderbird you're using , but both Thunderbird
1.5.0.10 and 3.0a1 (two that I happen to have immediate access to)
show the From: and Sender: separately and intact as received.

>Another question along the same lines. Is it possible to "hide" or
>remove the sender? For instance, I want my newsletter to my members to
>only show "listname at listserver.com", as
>"listname-bounces at listserver.com" confuses them.

The envelope must be from the listname-bounces address if automated
bounce processing is going to work. In addition the Sender: header is
set to the same address because some non-compliant MTAs return bounces
to the Sender:. The FAQ
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp>
has some discussion of this and also indicates where in the Mailman
code you might change it.