[Mailman-Users] Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection refused') errors

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 27 17:20:22 CEST 2007

Will Nordmeyer wrote:

>The firewall was fine...  the problem was that, for some reason, the hosts
>file did not have world read privileges!
>
>Thanks for the assistance - your question led me to further telnet localhost
>25 testing.  I'd done it as root and it worked... I hadn't tried it as a
>non-root user (brain failure at midnight last night).

The /etc/hosts not world readable problem is mentioned in
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp>.

That and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.073.htp>
may have been helpful. You mentioned searching the FAQ. Can you help
us by suggesting what changes we could make to have made it more
likely that you would find this information.