[Mailman-Users] Mailman possible overloading Postfix

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Mar 17 11:48:55 CET 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:42:12PM -0700, Johann MacDonagh wrote:
> I'm setting up my Mailing list on a VPS (virtual private server) I have.
> It's set to have about 128MB of RAM. I'm running a simple Fedora Core 5
> server. I've got Postfix / QRunner / Apache 2 running on it.

It seems your vserver provider sold you a pretty braindamaged product.
I run most of my things on the Linux vserver, which is effectively
invisible.

In case you're stuck with that provider, you might try installing lighttpd
instead of Apache, which has a lower memory footprint.

> I imported a mailing list that has about 80 subscribers. I attempted to
> post a message to all of them and this is what I got in my mail log.
>
> Does anyone have any experience running Mailman on a low end server? I
> can double the specs on this VPS for an extra $10 a month. I'll probably
> test that out and see how well it works.

It seems that I'm charging too little. I thought 5 EUR/month for
a Linux VServer was a reasonable deal. You can get a dedicated
hardware server for some 30 EUR/month, so perhaps I would switch
providers.