[Mailman-Users] Slow delivery

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Sun Mar 11 20:11:12 CET 2007

On 3/8/07 10:44 PM, "Herman Privyhum" <privyhum at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd be willing to bet you're waiting on DNS timeouts
>> at the remote end for one or more of your users
>> -- their MTA is slowing you down,  maybe as a
>> result of trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on
>> your IP address.
>
> Thanks to all for the thorough replies.  It appears
> that the solution actually lies in disabling ident.
>
> In Exim, this is achieved by setting the timeout to 0.
>
>     #rfc1413_query_timeout = 30s
>     rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s
>
> I may go back and turn it on again with a smaller
> timeout (suggestions as to how long is reasonable?).

Just a note:  The default value of rfc1413_query_timeout was reduced in
recent versions of Exim to, I think, 5s.

That was in preference to changing it to 0s, as a change to 0s would impact
sites which don't change that default, something Philip doesn't like to do
except when the major version changes.

Philip will be retired (late September) before Exim 5 is out--the Exim
community is well along in setting up a structure to deal with that.  His
retirement is, IMHO, much scarier with respect to the PCRE library than is
is with respect to Exim.

  --John