[Mailman-Users] Slow delivery

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 9 03:06:06 CET 2007

Herman Privyhum wrote:

>All
>messages have been taking just over 105 seconds to
>deliver, according to /usr/local/mailman/log/smtp.
>
>After searching through the archives to this list, I
>found that a garbage line in /etc/hosts was
>responsible for 75 seconds worth of that.  Now we're
>down to consistently just over 30 seconds.
>
>Where else should I look for things that could be
>causing this?  Exim only has problems with mail routed
>through Mailman.

Keep in mind that this SMTP transaction with Exim has 60 RCPT TO
commands and responses which is probably where most of the time is
spent. If Exim is doing DNS verifies on the recipient domains during
the incoming SMTP, 0.5 sec per recipient may not be that bad.

The solution is to not do DNS verification on mail from localhost. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.011.htp>.